Sharia Court Sentences Three To Death By Stoning For Raping Boys In Bauchi

A map of Bauchi, a state in north-east Nigeria.

 

An Islamic court in Bauchi state has sentenced three men to death by stoning for raping two boys, an official said Friday.

Bauchi is among a dozen states in the north where Sharia law is in operation alongside common criminal justice.

The court in the town of Ningi handed down the sentences on the trio on Wednesday, Sharia police or Hisbah official Adamu Dankafi said.

They were accused of raping two boys after drugging them, he said.

READ ALSO: I Have No Regrets Working With Abacha, Says Al-Mustapha

Raping minors is punishable by death under Nigeria’s Sharia law, although like most other death sentences it has never been enforced. In this case, the men were charged under a law related to homosexual acts.

“The Upper Sharia Court One in Ningi handed down the death sentence on the three men for committing homosexual acts with two brothers aged 10 and 12,” Dankafi said.

“The three are to be stoned to death as prescribed by the Bauchi state Sharia penal code based on their confessions during interrogation by our men and before the court,” he said.

He said the men were arrested in Gwada village in May following complaints by parents of the two boys who said they had been drugged before the act.

Dankafi said the men aged between 20 and 70, were not represented by a lawyer during the one-day trial, adding that they have one month to appeal the sentence.

 

 

Ebonyi police raid hoodlums camp, kill one in gun duel

The Ebonyi State Police Command has raided a camp suspected to belong to an armed gang of hoodlums in the state, killing one of them during a gun duel. The Command Police Public Relations Officer, Chris Anyanwu, stated this in a statement, Friday night, in Abakaliki, the state capital. According to him, personnel of the

Read More

Ogun workers suspend strike after four days

The Organised Labour in Ogun State on Friday evening suspended its four-day-old strike with immediate effect. This was made known in a letter signed by the Ogun leadership of the labour unions – the Chairman, Nigerian Labour Congress, Emmanuel Bankole; Chairman, Trade Union Congress, Akeem Lasisi and the Chairman, Joint Negotiating Committee, Isa Olude. The

Read More

Joshua: I’m Relying On My Naija Power 100% To Defeat Usyk

British heavyweight champion boxer Anthony Joshua leaves the arena after losing to Ukrainian boxer Oleksandr Usyk during their heavyweight boxing match at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in north London on September 25, 2021. (Photo by Adrian DENNIS / AFP)

 

Former two-time heavyweight champion, Anthony Joshua is relying on his “Naija” power as he wraps up preparations to take on Oleksandr Usyk in a rematch on August 20 in Jeddah, Saudi-Arabia.

In an exclusive chat with Channels Sports in London, the British-Nigerian boxer confirmed that it will be another difficult fight but he is determined to win back the belts he lost last year September to Usyk.

When asked if he will be going into the ring with his Naija power, Joshua responded: “100 percent. That’s what got me here so I’m not going to get rid of it now. We are going to take it all the way.”

READ ALSO: Mo Salah Commits Future To Liverpool With New Contract Signing

On September 25th 2021, Usyk put on an incredible show in front of 65,000 fans inside Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, outclassing Joshua over 12 rounds and that made the Ukrainian the new unified heavyweight world champion. He left the stadium with the WBA (Super), IBF, WBO, and IBO titles.

‘Naija no dey carry last’: Anthony Joshua tells Channels Television’s @ProudlyAustin he is working hard to defeat Oleksandr Usyk.

The heavyweight title rematch is set for August 20 in Saudi Arabia. pic.twitter.com/g4vndTSRaP

— Channels Television (@channelstv) July 1, 2022

 

The war between Russia and Ukraine is on Usyk’s mind but he confirmed he is a professional and has a job to do next month.

“I’m very happy to have my opportunity to have a fight in Saudi Arabia – it opens some new horizons. I love to travel the world. Everything I do in my life, the way I live, the way I fight is enjoyment. I’m not fighting for money or recognition. I don’t want to become a great, I’m just doing my job now and will continue to do so while my heart is beating,” the heavyweight champion said.

The Right Mentality

Joshua now has two losses to his name and on both occasions the Briton was dominated by a smaller opponent. The former champ, has been preparing for the rematch under the guidance of trainer Robert Garcia. He is confident that with the right mentality, his fighter can become a world champion again.

“We have to do whatever it takes, we have to come out with different strategies in case one doesn’t work. Usyk is a great fighter, he came to my gym a few times to train – he’s a talented fighter. Come fight night we will do what we need to win.”

32-year old Joshua understands he needs the right mentality to go against a tough opponent as Usyk. He says it’s less talk now and more focus.

“I’m focused on the goal, God willing, I will perform, and I will become three-time Heavyweight champion of the world. With Andy Ruiz, I think a lot of people can see before the fight things weren’t 100%. You’ve got to be strong, thick skinned; we take our loss like a man. When I win, I keep moving and I thank everybody. When you lose, you have to stay humble as well as in defeat. We kept it moving and I knew I could come back again and do what I have to do.”

Who Wants The Money?

It has been announced that Anthony Joshua and Oleksandr Usyk will receive a split 50:50 share of the purse for this fight. the world title fight will have an impressive $80m (£65.4m) sum paid by the host country for the rematch.

Usyk says he is not fighting for the money, Joshua’s eyes are fixed on the titles he lost last year and also get back his respect. So, who wants the money?

There were definitely vital lessons for Joshua from the first fight and when he was asked what he learned that can be useful in the second, he responded confidently, “split his face open.”

Tinubu Did Not Meet With Wike In France – Spokesperson

A photo combination of Nyesom Wike and Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

 

Presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress, Bola Ahmed Tinubu did not meet with Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike, in France, a spokesperson said on Friday.

Reports had emerged online about a supposed meeting between Tinubu and Wike, a chieftain of the opposition party, the Peoples Democratic Party.

But a statement signed by a spokesperson of the Tinubu Media Office, Tunde Rahman, described the reports as fake.

READ ALSO: I Am Praying To God On Who To Support For President In 2023 – Ortom

“We have seen a viral social media post made by one of the chieftains of All Progressives Congress in Lagos State and media reports emanating from same about a supposed meeting in France between APC Presidential Standard-bearer, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, and His Excellency, Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State,” the statement said.

“It has become imperative to set the record straight. Although Asiwaju Tinubu is presently in France, he didn’t have any meeting with Governor Wike whether in that country or anywhere whatsoever.

“This, however, does not detract from the fact that the APC presidential candidate holds Governor Wike in high esteem.

“And given the national and across-party lines appeal of Asiwaju Tinubu’s candidature, he will not hesitate to meet any important national leader when desirable.

“As made public earlier, Asiwaju Tinubu is in France for some important engagements. He will return to the country shortly.

“We would like, once again, to advice journalists to always cross-check their information with appropriate officers before rushing to press to avoid unintended errors.”

Strike: Ogun worker feared dead as labour leaders escape mob attack

Violence broke out on Friday at the Nigeria Labour Congress Secretariat, Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital, as one worker was feared dead while the labour leaders escaped mob attack. There was a commotion at the Labour House during a congress called by the organised labour over the ongoing indefinite strike. Our correspondent gathered that the

Read More

I’m ready to die for Nigeria, Al-Mustapha defends presidential bid

Hamza Al-Mustapha, a former aide to the late Sani Abacha, has expressed determination to become Nigeria’s president in 2023. Al-Mustapha, who is the presidential candidate of the Action Alliance, in the 2023 general election, said he’s “ready to die for the welfare of Nigeria and Nigerians”. He spoke on Friday while appearing as a guest

Read More

1.9m voters to participate in Osun gov poll, says INEC

The Independent National Electoral Commission has said 1,955,657 registered voters are expected to participate in the July 16 Osun governorship election. INEC National Commissioner and Chairman of Information and Voter Education, Mr Festus Okoye, said this at a roundtable media executives dialogue on Friday in Osogbo. Okoye said that 15 political parties would participate in

Read More

FG, Germany sign agreement on return of Benin bronzes

Nigeria and Germany, Friday, in Berlin, signed a joint declaration that would pave the way for the return of 1,130 Benin bronzes to Nigeria, 125 years after they were taken away from the ancient Benin Kingdom during the Benin Expedition of 1897. While the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed and the Minister of

Read More

JUST IN: Tinubu denies meeting Wike as PDP crisis deepens

Presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress, Bola Ahmed Tinubu, and the Governor of Rivers State, Nyesom Wike, did not meet in France. Tinubu’s spokesperson, Tunde Rahman, made this known on Friday, describing earlier reports as “fake news”. This is coming amid reports that Wike shunned the emissaries of the Peoples Democratic Party’s candidate, Atiku

Read More